Saturday, September 15, 2007

9/11. Bush or bin Laden? Vote now

In 1986, I returned to Australia for a brief visit with my wife. One evening we happened to catch a 60 Minutes special on the Lindy Chamberlain case. If I'm not mistaken, there was a new appeal pending. As I remembered it, 60 Minutes had been regarded at the time I left Australia as a serious news and investigative program. I recall little of their coverage of the Chamberlain case, but I do recall how the program ended. They asked viewers to phone in - to give their judgement: innocent or guilty. I was just surprised; my wife was outraged, and brings it up to this day.

The Germans have gone one better. ZDF public television network has screened a tendentious documentary on 9/11 and then conducted a poll on its web site asking the public who was behind 9/11: Osama bin Laden or the US government plus a couple of other options?

The results?

Twenty-five percent thought it was George Bush; another 25 percent blamed the US government; 15 percent thought it was the gun lobby's doing; 27 percent voted for terrorist leader Osama bin Laden and 6 percent had no opinion.

[I know. That adds up to 98%. Don't ask me. Ask Der Spiegel or ZDF]

I'm amazed that they didn't offer Mossad as one of the options. Or would that have made it all a foregone conclusion? I sometimes think that it would be better if people just didn't express themselves at all.

Technorati tags: , ,

No comments: