Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Day Heron

Dead oak, gull fleeing

This oak, dead for as long as I can remember, is a favourite perch for seagulls. On a dull day, they stand out and always draw my eye. As they did today. But if you look carefully at the centre of the photograph, there is a bigger body, unmoved as the gulls flee at my approach.

Heron unmoved A heron. The first I've seen here. It stretched its neck once (I was too slow with the camera), but for the rest did not move from its single-legged stance, hunched down against the cold.

2 comments:

Vanny said...

Lovely photos! The weather looks alright for this time of year, quite bright. You're lucky to live near the sea. I have lived in Manchester city for 5 years, the surrounding countryside is gorgeous. I have also always wanted to visit Devonshire while in the UK, but never had the chance to do so.

NoolaBeulah said...

You're right; the countryside around Manchester belies the look of the city itself. When I first arrived, I thought, "This is the place to come when you have decided that the world is right not to like you." It has improved, but will never be 'pretty'. But the countryside does make up for it.