Thursday, January 19, 2006

Exploration of Pluto. And disappointment.

An article on Pajamamedia about the launch of a rocket that will visit Pluto.
I must admit, I like the idea of a rocket using nuclear power. It's not that I'm such a big fan of nuclear power; it's just that it sounds so much more serious. Like they're getting down to some real space travel.
As someone that has been on this planet long enough to remember the Moon landing, I do so wish there were more of us out there. I fully expected to be holidaying on the Moon by this time. I wanted to be around for the next age of exploration, at least hear about the New America being settled. But no. Too much to ask, it would seem.
I especially like this bit (though, truth be known, if we were doing things proper, it shouldn't be necessary).

It will reach Earth's moon in about nine hours and arrive in 13 months at Jupiter, where it will use the giant planet's gravity as a slingshot, shaving five years off the 3-billion-mile trip.
(via Instapundit)

No comments: