Saturday, December 24, 2005

Merry Christmas to you

My 3-year-old, who's been debating the Big D for some time now, asked me, "Will Father Christmas die?"
Dilemma. I had previously said that nothing and no-one lasts forever. This question was obviously a test. I have my own beliefs, true, but he's 3 years old. What does a man of integrity do in such a bind? Obfuscate.
"Yes. But he'll last longer than most of us."
Momentary pause.
"But what happens when we die?"
With the wisdom born of years, I delegated this question to my wife, a woman of greater faith than my own.
"I believe we go back to God."
"What does 'God' mean?"
"God created all of us."
"Will God die?"
"No. Only things that are born die."
"Was I born?"
And you know what the woman said?

I wish you a Christmas with all the comforts it can bring.

No comments: